Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Intro...

So....
I feel like I should start this Blog by sharing exactly what it is that I do and what the College Retention Project is.  

..."The Retention Project is a college-based mentoring program that utilizes service-learning as a strategy to reduce the dropout rates of disadvantaged and non-traditional students at the middle and high school level, improve the retention and academic advancement of college students, and support college access and success efforts by creating a pipeline to higher education."

 And just how is it that I do this?  Through my work in the Academic Services office coordinating two program: Coaching for Academic Success and Tutoring for Academic Success.  

The Coaching for Academic Success Program connects students to certified academic coaches for guidance, weekly check-ins, and academic skills development.  Students work with coaches on academic achievement, personal organization, goal setting, motivation, academic focus, fast tracking academic and co-curricular activities, or any other activity where having a partner and guide helps. The Tutoring for Academic Success Program connects students to a course specific peer tutor for weekly one-on-one tutorial sessions.  Tutoring sessions can cover anything from preparing for a big test to developing a students study skills and habits. 
_____________________________________________________________________.....

I feel like this is going to be a pretty interesting year.  Between running both of these programs, coordinating my service-learning projects AND taking 4 classes for Grad School, I doubt I'll have anything even close to a social life.  :-(

My goal behind this blog is to capture my life, my struggles, my failures and my accomplishments as an AmeriCorps volunteer.  I have absolutely AMAZING predecessors, who left me with a host of resources and materials.  They've also left me with enormous shoes to fill.  Hopefully this will serve as a valuable resource for my successor.  When all is said and done, they can look back over the history of this project and see 1st-hand what this life is like.  This will serve you better than any transition manual could ever hope to.  And on that note, let the journey begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment